WHAT IS RESPONDUS LOCKDOWN BROWSER?
LockDown Browser is a locked browser for taking tests in Blackboard Learn. It prevents you from printing, copying, going to another URL, or accessing other applications during a test. If a Blackboard test requires that LockDown Browser be used, you will not be able to take the test with a standard web browser. LockDown Browser should only be used for taking Blackboard tests. It should not be used in other areas of Blackboard.
INSTALLING LOCKDOWN BROWSER
If LockDown Browser has already been installed, skip to the next section. If not, LockDown Browser must be installed to each computer (Windows or Mac) being used to take a test.
- Download and install LockDown Browser from this link:
DOWNLOAD LOCKDOWN BROWSER
- Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the install.
TAKING A TEST
- Close all programs, unless one is used to connect you to the Internet.
- Locate the “LockDown Browser” shortcut on the desktop and double-click it.(For Mac users, launch “LockDown Browser” from the Applications folder.)
- If prompted, either close a blocked program (e.g. screen capture, instant messaging) by choosing Yes. Or, close LockDown Browser and close the blocked program before restarting.
- Log into Blackboard from inside the lockdown browser program.
- Navigate to the test within the course and select Begin Exam.
- The test will then start. (Note, once a test has been started with Respondus LockDown Browser, you cannot exit until the Submit button is clicked.)
USING WITH A WEBCAM (Respondus Monitor)
You may be required to use LockDown Browser with a webcam, which will record you during an online, nonproctored exam. (The webcam feature is sometimes referred to as “Respondus Monitor.”)
Your computer must have a functioning webcam and microphone. A broadband connection is also required.
If a quiz requires LockDown Browser and a webcam, follow steps 1-6 in the previous “Taking A Test” section. At
this point the Startup Sequence for the webcam begins.
- The Webcam Check will confirm that your webcam and microphone are working properly.
- The remaining steps of the Startup Sequence will depend on settings chosen by your instructor. Follow the instructions and note your progress along the left side of the screen.
- If you encounter a problem, select the It’s not
working link for troubleshooting tips.
The test will begin after the Startup Sequence is complete. You cannot exit LockDown Browser until the quiz is submitted for grading.
If you have problems downloading, installing, or taking an assessment with Respondus LockDown Browser, contact your instructor.
Some final tips
When taking an online exam, these guidelines may assist you:
- Select a location where you won't be interrupted
- Before starting the test, know how much time is available for it, and that you've allotted sufficient time to complete it
- Turn off all mobile devices, phones, etc. and don't have them within reach
- Clear your area of all external materials — books, papers, other computers, or devices
- Remain at your desk or workstation for the duration of the test
- LockDown Browser will prevent you from accessing other websites or applications; you will be unable to exit the test until all questions are completed and submitted